Did you know: St Ives officially has a sub-tropical climate thanks to the Gulf Stream that brings warmer air from the Caribbean, this gives us some of the warmest winters in Northern Europe.
Research conducted by Learning Away has found that the transformation in students is greater the sooner the residential takes place in the school year.
“Having always visited in January we have never had to endure long queues at popular museums and galleries and more importantly, our students feel safe and happy.”Sarah Beales, Queen Anne’s School
Winter residentials at Cohort
At Cohort, our entire winter season is dedicated to schools and groups. We welcome the opportunity to show you St Ives in a different light. Yes, it may be a little cooler but it’s certainly no less spectacular – it anything it’s better experienced without the crowds.
The below video was filmed in St Ives, January 2020; a group of German geology students are conducting a beach clean with Beach Guardians (no sound).
10 reasons to do a winter residential in St Ives
- St Ives is much quieter
- No battling with tourists and crowds
- You’ll have the galleries, beaches and streets to yourselves
- The beaches are INCREDIBLE in the winter
- It’s cheaper
- Trips can be more inclusive
- Better availability of workshops and artist educators
- People we work with are less busy October – March
- Easier to book groups into restaurants
- Often restaurants won’t take group bookings in the summer
- Exclusive use of Cohort
- Make yourselves at home by taking over the whole hostel
- Easier and cheaper to park
- Drop off / Pick up students outside the hostel and park just a few yards away
- Safer and more secure
- With less people around and no other guests in the hostel the already safe St Ives becomes even safer
- Start the academic year with a bang
- Research shows that the learning outcomes of a winter residential are carried through into the rest of the academic year – this includes enthusiasm for the subject and comradeship with classmates
- Mental health benefits of going away at the darkest time of year
- There’s nothing more uplifting than getting away at a time of year when everything feels a bit gloomy. Get some of that blue health by being right next to the ocean